Select Your Strategies
The organization of buildings, landform, landscape and circulation on a site
Once a site has been selected and the program solidified, it is essential to plan the site to bring the most value to the project. The design team must decide where to build on the given site, but in order to do that they must analyze all the variables to make a well-informed decision.
Some of the questions a designer should ask include:
- What positive qualities does the site possess that I should preserve?
- What negative qualities should I improve?
- Where are natural patterns of sun, wind, water, and topography, and how can I capitalize on them?
- What are the best ways to move through the site?
- Where are the best views?
- Will I be destroying or creating habitat?
- How will my project affect or be affected by surrounding sites?